Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Nature of Nature, a roo that 'comes', and Miles of Smiles


The Nature of Nature












Let me at it! This little black and white bantam
is just full of it! Can anyone tell me what kind
of chickens these are? They came in a mixed box.



OK, I know about mosquitoes, but this is CRAZY!!!

They just about carried me away!

I can't step a foot outside without being attacked. I love taking care of our wee critters and after feeding the chicks I enjoy sitting and watching them peep as they scurry around catching bugs and eating grass & weeds. Today, however, I just can't spend any time out there. Granted I am wearing my 3-tier skirt, a sleeveless top, and sandals. So, I am going to invest in some light colored long sleeved blouses that I can throw on to garden and take care of Jacob's friends. I am also seriously considering getting a bee keeper hat with netting to keep them off my head, neck and face.




It has got to be all the rain we have had here this year. The lake, just below us, has gone down quite a bit now. We can see about half the outhouse at the Tecumseh Bridge / Park area. The fishermen are still launching their boats from the road that leads down to the park - a good block uphill from the normal launch site. It'll be a while yet before it can recede to normal levels, but it is about half way there.


"Just dare me" ~ This Buff Orpington (pullet?)
and silver duckwing unknown are just ready
to go at it again. The Black Sumatra is coming
up to be 'referee'






We have had other signs of too much rain here. Our tomatoes are turning brown from the ground up sooner than we have seen before and the squash has been a problem for many growers. A lot of people have given up and just taken the plants out completely. Bob got into our 'jungle' and pruned back a lot of leaves and then put a fan on them in an effort to dry them up faster. Between that and the fact that the front garden is on a slant, so that the water drains away faster, we have a great crop of zucchini, crookneck, and yellow scalloped squash as well as cucumbers with very few losses due to molding, etc.


Turk ~ our Turken Roo to be. He is so sweet.
Since I took this picture (just a couple days ago)
his comb and wattles have grown and started
turning red along with some red growing just
below his eyes. He is going to look like a vulture
before long.







I pray we get a good solid freeze here this winter to put an end to this cycle of biting.

I'm still itching!
Guess I need to call my sister-in-law, Shirley, and get some 'Skin-so-Soft'. ___________________________________________


A Roo that 'Comes'

What a comical site Red makes as I go to feed the cats he comes running with them. Then I got him some scratch this morning, he doesn't always get it in the morning, I started clicking and calling to him and he came running down to the hill toward me. You could tell by the way he was running, almost dancing, that he was a very happy bird.





Robert and Miranda put a lacy apron on Red.

Red is normally a calm protective roo. By calm I mean ~ the children can catch him pretty easily as he puts up a token resistance ~ and fairly enjoys being held, carried around, petted on the head, and scratched under the wings. By protective, I mean of us. He guards the sliding door from the cats and pecks them out of the way so that he gets his spot of choice - the rug. He is generally the 'top dog' around here.

So, now we have Molly... hmmmm. It seems she likes rooster tails. Now, this could be a problem since she is supposed to be learning to protect them not mouth them. Well, Red was not thrilled by her attempts, to say the least and he went to raising his feathers, pulling his wings up and out, and dancing on his toes... reared back and up and then down onto Molly... beak and claws ~ just as if he were fighting another cock. But Molls doesn't give up and frankly, I wasn't so sure I wanted to get in the middle of it. Red has some pretty impressive spurs on those legs of his and I like to stay on his good side. After several attempts of trying to get Molly to stop with verbal commands and taking her a few feet away she finally gave in and left poor ol' Red alone. I hope she learned her lesson as he got her good a few times and he didn't loose a feather.
_________________________________________________

Miles of Smiles





OK.... so, she is outside most of the time. Willow really just feels at home here. When you open the door she RUNS right in and raids Princess' food bowl. She is ravenous. It doesn't matter how much food she gets in her bowl. She still wants more. Guess that proves that she was left behind and couldn't fend for herself out in the wilds of the Mark Twain National Forest.




Bethany, Jacob's PT, is working with him in his Up 'n Go.

We were quite excited about this... see him holding and playing with his favorite stuffed critters, blue bear and brown bunny. Well, if you look really close you can also see that he is standing on his own!

The harness is loose around him and he has all his own weight on his legs and feet while holding onto only one of his bars!!!



Here's more weight bearing! This was Wednesday morning. He really wasn't in the mood for therapy, and pretty much let everyone know he didn't want to practice sit to stand (he whined and made general complaints as well as just wouldn't work) or the Creepster Crawler (just let his head drag and went limp), or the Walkable where he grudgingly accepted defeat as he has no other option but to walk as we are moving his legs for him.



He complained briefly about being put into yet another harness system when Bethany was setting him up with the Up 'n Go harness, but once he got into the walker he was all happy with it ~ giving us little smirks. You could tell he was quite proud of himself. As he should be.


Future Mushroom Grower

The other day she and Bob went walking through the growing rooms. While in there she said, "Dad, you are the mushrooms guy! And I want to be the mushroom girl!"

Well, at least she is on her way to being HACCP approved with that hair net on.











Miranda is showing off her VERY loose tooth. It still hasn't come out yet. Both front teeth are loose. We have a feeling she will be singing: "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth...." before long.







Tootsies at rest ~ not for long...

Miranda, Jacob, and Mommy

Last nights Giggle - a - Thon...









Giggling Tootsies




































Tootsies at rest











No comments: